Agency: Bryan Buccaneers Pop Warner - Football, Cheer, Academic Achievement
- Agency Name:
- Bryan Buccaneers Pop Warner - Football, Cheer, Academic Achievement
- Pop Warner Little Scholars, Inc. (PWLS) is a non-profit organization that provides youth football and cheer & dance programs for participants in 42 states and several countries around the world. As the only national youth sports organization that requires scholastic aptitude to participate, Pop Warner programs seek to develop well-rounded young men and women who learn not only the fundamentals of football, cheerleading, and dance but also the importance of education in an atmosphere conducive to developing sound character while having a good time.
I'm a professor here in the Department of Biomedical Engineering and also serve as Athletic Director and Head Coach with the Bryan Buccaneers. The demographics vary greatly between Bryan and College Station. We have many players from highly impoverished single parent households. We also are primarily minority serving organization with most of our participants coming from Hispanic and African American backgrounds. Gang activity in our community is prevalent, and violent crimes in the communities we serve are not uncommon. The young kids we serve deserve community support as they try to navigate their youth in a very difficult environment. Our organization struggles compared to our cross-town counterparts in CS, because our parents simply don't have the resources or incomes of many of those in CS. Thus, we desperately need volunteers to assist with fundraising, coaching, and other activities. I currently live CS, but grew up in environments similar to those the Bryan Buccaneers organization serves, hence I volunteer my time there - the location of greatest need. Please email me at email@example.com if you or your student organization is available to help. Thanks for your consideration.
Michael R. Moreno, PhD
- Mission Statement:
- The mission of Pop Warner Little Scholars is to enable young people to benefit from participation in team sports and activities in a safe and structured environment. Through this active participation, Pop Warner programs teach fundamental values, skills and knowledge that young people will use throughout their lives.
To encourage and increase youth participation in football, cheerleading and dance.
To ensure a safe and positive playing environment for all participants.
To instill life-long values of teamwork, dedication and a superior work ethic in the classroom and on the playing field.
Pop Warner programs have no tryouts or cutting of rosters.
Everyone participates under mandatory rules of play.
On-field coaching is allowed for younger age levels.
Individual awards are given only for academic excellence, not for on-field activities.
Safe Playing Environment
- Issues Addressed by Agency:
- Children / Youth
- Civic / Community
- Education / Literacy
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sports / Recreation
- Parking Available at Agency:
- Accessible to People with Disabilities:
- Hours of Operation:
Agency-Wide Contact Information
- Address 1:
- 1203 Merry Oaks Dr. (mail only)
- College Station
- Zip Code:
- Phone Number:
- E-mail Address:
Map to Location