Agency: Apollo 20 Fellowship
- Agency Name:
- Apollo 20 Fellowship
- The Apollo 20 Program is a bold initiative to transform public education in Houston and improve the academic achievement of all students. HISD's partner in the Apollo 20 Program, Harvard University's Education Innovation Laboratory, identified best practices and strategies from successful public and charter schools across the nation to implement.
The program launched in four high schools and five middle schools at the start of the 2010-2011 school year. Midway through the year, high school students had posted 26 to 41 percentage point gains in math. In addition, students' attendance rates grew while the number of disciplinary suspensions declined at Apollo 20 campuses.The program soon expanded to include elementary schools.
One of the five strategies executed in the school turnaround design was in-school tutoring, thus the birth of Apollo 20 Fellows.
Since its inception, Apollo 20 Fellows have spread throughout the district beyond the initial 20 campuses in the Apollo 20 Program with promising results. Currently there are more than 300 fellows working at 28 different campuses across Houston
- Mission Statement:
- Apollo 20 is designed to expand educational opportunities for students in Houston's most high-need schools through intensive small group tutoring in math.
- Issues Addressed by Agency:
- Children / Youth
- Education / Literacy
- Parking Available at Agency:
- Accessible to People with Disabilities:
- Hours of Operation:
- Monday through Friday, 8-4 PM
Agency-Wide Contact Information
- Address 1:
- 4400 West 18th St
- Zip Code:
- Phone Number:
- Web Address:
- E-mail Address:
Map to Location