Opportunity: "Taking Root" Lake Somerville State Park
- Opportunity Name:
- "Taking Root" Lake Somerville State Park
- Summary of Opportunity:
- We are excited to put together a much needed community project called "Taking Root" that will create crucial shade for the next generation. We would like to invite A&M Students to help us on Nov. 3rd. We've got several A&M groups as well as youth organizations such as Boy Scouts. The scouts will be earning an award at this event which is really exciting. Each student will receive 10 hours of community service as well as valuable leadership and mentorship experience with Texas Parks & Wildlife.
Lake Somerville flooded in 2015, 2016 and 2017. As a result of these flood events, thousands of mature trees have died, or are in the process of dying, throughout the 9000 acre complex. We're leaving many as snags, but are also keen to replace lost trees - both for aesthetics and wildlife benefit. We've recently received a "grant" from the non-profit Trees for Houston. These great folks have donated approximately 235 five or fifteen gallon trees and 800 seedlings. All of the preparation work will be done, we just need the community to help us plant!
We anticipate a need for 75-100 volunteers to assist in planting these trees on Saturday, November 3, 2018 beginning at 8:00am. Not only will we be creating shade for the next generation, our volunteers will collaborate and network side by side with experienced TPWD Rangers and experts from the community. In addition to networking and leadership, we will be serving lunch and drinks. After planting we encourage our volunteers to stay and enjoy the park for free!
Please see attached "Taking Root" informational flyer. The deadline for volunteer sign-up is October 28, 2018.
In supporting "Taking Root" you will not only be giving back, you will be sharing your leadership examples in the community. HEB is sponsoring our lunch and during that time we would like to introduce A&M Organizations and incorporate a meet and greet leadership/mentorship feel.
I look forward to hearing from you and hope that ya'll will join us as we bring the community together at "Taking Root".
"Taking Root" Volunteer Coordinator
- Issues Addressed in Opportunity:
- Education / Literacy
- Environment (incl. Wildlife)
- Start Date/Time:
- November 3, 2018 8:00am
- End Date/Time:
- November 3, 2018 1:00pm
- Special Skills Needed/Preferred for Opportunity:
- Training/Orientation Provided:
- Parking Available On-Site:
- Location Accessible to People with Disabilities: